Benicia Arsenal, Storehouse, Comandant's Lane, Benicia Industrial Park, Benicia, Solano County, CA
Significance: This building, the largest and most important of the early Benicia Arsenal structures, was erected in 1859 as a fortified storehouse. Constructed of fine rusticated sandstone ashlar, it was originally three stories high but was extensively damaged in an explosion and fire in 1912 and rebuilt as a two-story structure. It became known as the Clocktower Building after the installation of a large clock honoring longtime arsenal commander Colonel Julian McAllister.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-137
Survey number: HABS CA-1828
Building/structure dates: ca. 1859 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: after 1910 Subsequent Work