["Beacon Hill House," Arthur Curtiss James house, Beacon Hill Road, Newport, Rhode Island. Blue Garden, flower border]
Site History. House Architecture: Howells & Stokes, 1910. Landscape: Frederick Law Olmsted Jr., Henry Hill Blossom, Olmsted Brothers, 1908-1913, 1915-1916; Hempsted of Boston, contractors; John Greatorex, gardener. Associated Name: Harriet Parsons (Mrs. Arthur C.) James. Other: Garden dedicated on August 15, 1913. House and garden on 39 2/3 acres. Today: House was razed in 1967 and the garden acres sold for subdivision.
Title, date, and subject information provided by Sam Watters, 2011.
Forms part of: Garden and historic house lecture series in the Frances Benjamin Johnston Collection (Library of Congress).
Formerly in Box 49. Penciled on slide (not by FBJ?): # 472. Note on sleeve in Library staff hand: "Slides badly colored."