PICRYL
PICRYLThe World's Largest Public Domain Source
  • homeHome
  • searchSearch
  • photo_albumStories
  • collectionsCollections
  • infoAbout
  • star_rateUpgrade
  • account_boxLogin
B.C.A. 1911 No.s 53 to 55 on plan

B.C.A. 1911 No.s 53 to 55 on plan

  • save_altThumbnail200x200
  • save_altSmall640x490
  • save_altMedium1024x784
  • save_altOriginal1024x784
  • photo_size_select_largeUpscale 2x2048x1568
description

Summary

Creator: Alexander R. Hogg for Belfast Corporation..Date: 11th February 1915..Description: B.C.A. 1911 No.s 53 to 55 on plan. Streets in photo: May Street, Market Street. Premises in photo: Hugh B. Lavery The Plough Bar; The Old Comber House bonders of Irish and Scotch Whiskies...PRONI Ref: LA/7/8/HF/4/201..Copying and copyright:.Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... ( http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_and_copyright.htm ) ..For Copy Orders, contact:.Email: proni@dcalni.gov.uk..For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and... ( http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and_charges.htm )

These photographs come from the Belfast Corporation archive (LA/7/8/HF) and were taken by Alexander Hogg (1870-1939). The photographs show various properties, mainly older houses, to be demolished or otherwise affected by improvement schemes undertaken by the Corporation under the Belfast Improvement Order (1910) and the Belfast Corporation Act (1911). Although focused on the properties, the photographs contain an interesting record of street life in Belfast, including inner city areas, the suburbs and the commercial centre, before and in the early years of the Great War. Most include people, particularly children, generally arranged in groups in the foreground of the scene. They also give a vivid impression of the quality of the housing stock in these areas. Locations covered include: Little York Street; Millfield (including Gardiner Street, Brown Street and Boundary Street); mid Shankill (Hemsworth Street); Grovenor Road (Stanley Street); Hamill Street; Barrack Street; and Lower Falls (Christian Place); Mill Street; King Street; Divis Street; Manor Street; Crimea Street; Tate's Avenue; Chichester Street; Victoria Street; Cromac Square; Shankill Road; Woodvale Road and Antrim Road. The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) is the official archive for Northern Ireland. It aims to identify and preserve records of historical, social and cultural importance and make them available for the information, education and enjoyment of the public. PRONI is the official place of deposit for public records in Northern Ireland. In addition, it collects a wide range of archives from private sources. PRONI also advises on and promotes best practice in archive and records management to ensure that today’s records will be available for future generations. Located in Belfast, PRONI is a government organisation founded in 1923 (shortly after the partition of Ireland). It now operates as part of the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL) within the Northern Ireland Civil Service (NICS).

date_range

Date

1865
create

Source

Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
copyright

Copyright info

No known copyright restrictions

Explorehugh b lavery

Explorethe old gomber house

Explorebelfast corporation