Arney's Mount Friends Meeting House, Southwest corner of Juliustown & Arney's Mount Roads, Mount Holly, Burlington County, NJ
Significance: Arney's Mount Friends Meeting House, erected of local Bog Iron stone between 1775 and 1776, represents a particularly domestic-looking meeting house form. The development of this form was likely a factor of meeting size, being all that was necessary to accommodate a small, rural meeting. It is reflected in additional meeting houses within Burlington Quarter, but is otherwise with few contemporary counterparts in the Delaware Valley. The meeting house is also of interest for its near pristine interior. Although dating to the reconstruction that followed a (second) fire in 1811, the facing benches, gallery, and other wood elements and finishes are intact. The building is still without electricity or plumbing, and a wood stove serves as the only heat source.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N816
Survey number: HABS NJ-1243
Building/structure dates: 1775-1776 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1800 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1809-1811 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 73001083