Allen Park Veterans Administration Hospital, Building No. 8, Southfield Expressway & Outer Drive, Allen Park, Wayne County, MI
Significance: Building 8 was constructed as the Attendant's Quarters for the Allen Park Veterans Administration Hospital. It was one of the first buildings completed on the complex in 1939. The presence of this building, as well as the Nurses' Quarters and Director's Quarters (Buildings 7 and 6, respectively) indicated the need for round-the-clock, on-site staff at the hospital. Building 8 exhibits elements of the Georgian Revival style, which are typical of the Allen Park facility and of VA hospitals nationwide. The interior and exterior symmetry, side gable form, pediment with dentils, pedimented entrance, and sash and dormer windows are all reflections of the Georgian Revival style that was common for VA hospitals. The building was converted for use as a research facility at an unknown date. This change reflects a shift in focus at the Allen Park hospital from strictly treating veterans to researching common illnesses and disorders and developing treatments. This trend is also reflected in the construction of additional research facilities in Units B and C of Building 1 (1945-47), Units D and E (1960), Building 31 (1959) and Building 67 (ca. 1970).
Survey number: HABS MI-427-D
Building/structure dates: 1939 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1970 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1996 Subsequent Work