Aerial Photograph of Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC including the District Building and the Post Office Building
This photograph was taken by the Army Air Corps stationed at Bolling Field and looks east across Pennsylvania Avenue.
"Airscapes" of American and Foreign Areas
Founded in 1917 as The Flying Field at Anacostia, the Bolling Field was the first military airfield near the United States Capitol. It was renamed Anacostia Experimental Flying Field in June 1918. Throughout the Second World War, Bolling Field served as the aerial gateway to the US capital Washington D.C. After WWII, Bolling Field's property became Naval Air Station Anacostia and a new Air Force base, named Bolling Air Force Base, was constructed just to the south of the field in 1948.