The World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine
A truly institutional institution!

A truly institutional institution!

 
 
description

Summary

To the Stereo Pairs collection today, and to a vast institution somewhere. These great building projects were intended to provide treatment and care for people in a region and have lasted for many years though few remain in their original use to this day. Where are we and is it still standing?..Niall McAuley ( /photos/gnmcauley/ ) and derangedlemur ( /photos/[email protected]/ ) combine to tell us that this is longer standing. While it was standing (for 100 years between the 1820s and the 1920s), it was the "District Lunatic Asylum" on the Falls Road in Belfast. Originally built to designs by architects William Murray and Francis Johnston (the latter perhaps best known for his work on Dublin's GPO), it was demolished to make way for a new maternity hospital in the early 20th century.......Photographers: Frederick Holland Mares, James Simonton..Contributor: John Fortune Lawrence..Collection: Stereo Pairs Photograph Collection ( https://catalogue.nli.ie/Collection/vtls000034077 ) ..Date: Catalogue range c.1860-1883..NLI Ref: STP_0435 ( http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000563752 ) ..You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie ( http://catalogue.nli.ie )

date_range

Date

1920 - 1930
place

Location

create

Source

National Library of Ireland
copyright

Copyright info

Public Domain