The World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine
A Reconstruction of the Thermae of Diocletian (above) and a View of the Ruins (below)

A Reconstruction of the Thermae of Diocletian (above) and a View of the Ruins (below)

 
 
description

Summary

The Baths of Diocletian (Thermae Diocletiani) in Rome were built from 298 to in 306. The Baths were commissioned by Maximian in honor of co-Emperor Diocletian in 298, the same year he returned from Africa. The Baths occupy the high-ground on the northeast summit of the Vimina hills in Rome. The water supply was provided by the Aqua Marcia and Aqua Antoniniana aqueducts. The Baths remained in use until the siege of Rome in 537 when the Ostrogothic king Vitiges cut off the aqueducts.

date_range

Date

1704
create

Source

Metropolitan Museum of Art
copyright

Copyright info

Public Domain Dedication (CC0)