Burning of the 'Tin School' January 5, 1945
Earlier in our Photostream was a photo of the 'Old School' or 'Tin School' in Flinton - part of the Carol Lessard album...This photo in the Bolton Family album shows the fire on January 5th, 1945..Excerpt from the Pioneer Times Newsletter - Spring/Summer 2015, 'Schools of Kaladar Township' by Eileen Flieler: ..'In 1938 (Dec.) the Township School Board of Kaladar was established for SS#1, 2, 10 and 11. The board consisted of J. Yanch (chair), Jim Vogan, H. Marrisett, W. G. Hornick and Howard Hasler as secretary-treasurer. During the Easter vacation, the Tin School was wired by Mr. J. Sedore..Mrs. Bennett was hired as principal in 1941. In Sept. 1944 Miss Norval Inwood of Denbigh took over from Mrs. Bennett..This school came to a sad end when it burned to the ground on Jan. 5 1945. The fire was caused by a torch used to thaw frozen water pipes. Within three days classes commenced in the community hall across the road.'..To learn more about local school history visit: pioneer.mazinaw.on.ca/news.php ( http://pioneer.mazinaw.on.ca/news.php ) and download the Spring 2015 Newsletter.