PICRYL
PICRYLThe World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine
16-30 Monroe Avenue (Commercial Building), Detroit, Wayne County, MI

16-30 Monroe Avenue (Commercial Building), Detroit, Wayne County, MI

 
 
description

Summary

Significance: The Second Williams Block is significant as a remnant of commercial architecture in Detroit dating from the early 1870s, although two-thirds of the building was demolished following a 1973 fire in the south part of the structure. It is also significant as an example of the work of Mortimer L. Smith, a renown Detroit architect and painter. John Constantine Williams, who built this commercial building to develop part of his real estate holdings in Detroit, was a member of one of the city's wealthiest families during the middle decades of the nineteenth century.
Survey number: HABS MI-321

date_range

Date

1933 - 1970
person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
place

Location

Detroit (Mich.)42.33143, -83.04575
Google Map of 42.331427, -83.0457538
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html

ExploreWayne