1518 East Fourteenth Avenue (House), Tampa, Hillsborough County, FL
Significance: This building's architectural and historical significance is derived from its contribution to the Ybor City National Historic Landmark District. Ybor City is a section of Tampa founded and built by Vicente M. Ybor and Ignacio Haya as a cigar manufacturing center and town. This building is one of the largest residences in this neighborhood. Its Mediterranean Revival style stands out in this section of Ybor City, which is dominated by Frame Vernacular and Bungalow buildings. A prominent local surgeon, Dr. Santiago Paniello, constructed this building for use as his private residence. Dr. Paniello was the medical director for the Centro Espanol Latin Club in the 1920s and early 1930s. He also was responsible for founding La Benefica Espanola in 1922, a clinic and medical organization, which was later incorporated into the Centro Espanol Club in 1929. Dr. Paniello played an important role in the development of medical services for the Latin community in Tampa, specifically the residents of Ybor City and members of the Centro Espanol.
Survey number: HABS FL-441
Building/structure dates: 1932 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 74000641