May 1748 was the first jubilee on the new Russian Capital, St. Petersburg. A newly established Russian Academy of Sciences and Arts decided to order a plan for the new capital: "for the glory and honor of the Russian Empire." Truscott's plan is the first detailed map of St. Petersburg. Nine sheets show the most important buildings of the XVIII century. 12 engraved prospectuses (prospects) show views of the Neva, Fontanka, Nevsky Prospekt, the Admiralty, and other city attractions.
The album was published in the 1748-1749 under the direction of associate JF Truscott. Twelve engravings - "the noblest prospects", with views of St. Petersburg, which was supposed to supplement the plan were created outstanding engraver M. Makhaev.
On May 1703, in the midst of the war with Sweden, Peter the Great captured Nyenskans, and soon replaced the fortress. On May 27, he laid down the Peter and Paul Fortress, which became the first brick and stone building of the new city.
Tens of thousands of serfs died building the city. Peter moved the capital from Moscow to Saint Petersburg in 1712, 9 years before the Treaty of Nystad of 1721 ended the war; he referred to Saint Petersburg as the capital (or seat of government) as early as 1704. By 1716 the Swiss-Italian Domenico Trezzini had elaborated a project whereby the city center would be located on Vasilyevsky Island and shaped by a rectangular grid of canals. The project was not completed but is still evident in the layout of the streets. In 1716, Peter the Great appointed French Jean-Baptiste Alexandre Le Blond as the chief architect of Saint Petersburg.
The style of Petrine Baroque, developed by Trezzini and other architects and exemplified by such buildings as the Menshikov Palace, Kunstkamera, Peter and Paul Cathedral, Twelve Collegia, became prominent in the city architecture of the early 18th century. In 1724 the Academy of Sciences, University and Academic Gymnasium were established in Saint Petersburg by Peter the Great.