PICRYL
PICRYL

The World's Largest Public Domain Source

  • homeHome
  • searchSearch
  • collectionsCollections
  • camera_altMedia
  • infoAbout

  • account_boxLogin

Book Stamps

Book stamps from books looted by the Nazis and sorted by Colonel Seymour Pomrenze, one of “the Monuments Men,” at the Offenbach Archival Depot.

There are two scrapbooks of archival markings from the books sorted at the Offenbach Depot in the Seymour Pomrenze Collection held by the American Jewish Historical Society
Josef Jona Zwi Halevi Horovitz
118 Media in collectionpage 1 of 2

Pioneering Scouts Youth Organization Hashomer Hatzair in Lithuania

Founded in 1913, as a merger between Tse’ire Agudat Tsiyon and Ha-Shomer, the organization Hashomer Hatzair was a Zionist-socialist youth movement that trained young people to immigrate to kibbutz in Palestine.... more

Union of Food Workers Lozovsky Club

The Lozovsky referred to in this stamp is most likely Solomon Lozovsky, a prominent Bolshevik and, during the times he was expelled from the Bolshevik Party (in 1914 and 1918), a Mezhraionets (a Russian Social ... more

Bookstore G Gutman Kovno Birstono Street no 10

A census of Kovno from 1923 indicated that 27 percent of the city’s population was Jewish – and the city was the scene of a thriving Jewish community that would befit such a high percentage. The city was home t... more

Bookstore G Gutman Kovno Birstono Street no 10

A census of Kovno from 1923 indicated that 27 percent of the city’s population was Jewish – and the city was the scene of a thriving Jewish community that would befit such a high percentage. The city was home t... more

Library of the Riga Infantry School

A census of Kovno from 1923 indicated that 27 percent of the city’s population was Jewish – and the city was the scene of a thriving Jewish community that would befit such a high percentage. The city was home t... more

Bookstore G Gutman Kovno Birstono Street no 10

A census of Kovno from 1923 indicated that 27 percent of the city’s population was Jewish – and the city was the scene of a thriving Jewish community that would befit such a high percentage. The city was home t... more

Library of the Metropolitan Flavian

Born Nikolai Gorodetsky into an aristocratic family in Orel, Russia in 1840, the future Metropolitan (the 3rd highest class of rank in the Russian Orthodox Church) dropped out of law school at Moscow University... more

House of Ethics Rabbi Yisrael Salanter

House of Ethics. The Foundation, Our Master, Our Teacher, and Our Rebbe (admur) Rabbi Yisrael Salanter. Kovno..Born in Lithuania in 1810, Rabbi Yisra’el ben Ze’ev Volf Salanter (also known as Lipkin) was a pro... more

Central Yiddish School Organization_Central Secretary Vilna

In 1921 the Central Yiddish School Organization (Tsentrale Yidishe Shul Organizatsye – often known by the acronym TSYSHO) was founded in Warsaw to advance and administrate a network of secular Yiddish schools. ... more

Estate of Rabbi Gaon Reb Dob Baer Ratner

According to the entry in the 1901 edition of the Jewish Encyclopedia, Rabbi Dov Baer Ratner was a “Russian Talmudist; born at Wilna about 1845. He is the author of “Mebo la-Seder ‘Olam Rabbath,” on Josef ben H... more

Library of the Union of Russian Teachers in Latvia

The Union of Russian Teachers in Latvia was established in January 1919 during the Latvian War of Independence against Soviet Russia. It served mostly as a professional and scientifically-oriented organization.... more

Saltykov-Shchedrin Library

This library was named after one of the most prominent satirists in the history of Russian literature, Mikhail Yevgrafovich Saltykov-Schedrin. His writing focused on social issues such as serfdom, corruption, ... more

Foreign Delegation of the Russian Socialist Revolutionary Party

The Socialist Revolutionary Party was a major political party in Russia in the early twentieth century. It was a revolutionary socialist party espousing a democratic and agrarian socialist platform. It was no... more

Baruch Kunstadt Dayan

Rabbi Baruch Kunstadt was born in Pressburg (Bratislava, Slovakia) in 1884 and as a young man he studied in that city’s yeshiva – he was the grandson of Rabbi Lippman Kunstadt. From 1907 to 1939 he was the Av-B... more

Jewish Democratic Teachers' Association

The cultural openness that was often attributed to the Latvian capital of Riga, made the city an appealing destination for many Jews. After 1842, when the Jewish community received formal recognition by the aut... more

People's Commissariat of Defense of the USSR

On June 20th, 1934, the older People’s Commissariat of Military and Marine Affairs became the People’s Commissariat of Defense of the U.S.S.R. In December 1937, naval affairs were handed over to the new People’... more

Jewish Bookstore Aaron Beker No 20 Herren Street

In the 1800s the Latvian city of Riga developed a reputation for being culturally open which proved an appealing draw for many Jews who came to settle in the city. Throughout the 1800s the city’s Jewish populat... more

Fundamental Library of the Volhynia Theological Seminary

The Volhynia Theological Seminary was founded in 1796. It is a Ukrainian Orthodox Church institution. It was moved several times in the 1800s, and by the mid 1800s, when it was located in the small Ukrainian ... more

Russian Social Deomcratic Workers' Party

This party was formed in 1898 and attempted to combine all Marxist revolutionary groups in the Russian Empire. The three main original constituents were the League of Struggle for the Emancipation of the Worki... more

Chatzi Kaddish Intellectual Books

Karlsruhe is the capital city of the grand duchy of Baden in Germany, a city with a lengthy Jewish history dating back to the early 1700s when Jews were attracted to the city by pledges of non-discrimination by... more

Uman Public Library

The city of Uman remains an important location for Jews due largely to its connection to the famed Rabbi Nahman of Bratslav who lived in Uman in the months previous to his death. The Jewish population of Uman w... more

Democratic Zionists Guild Hakhsharah

Many Zionist groups throughout Europe worked to actively prepare their members for eventual immigration. Therefore, numerous “Haksharah” (Zionist Training Farms) were set up to provide young Zionists with the t... more

Uman Public Library

The city of Uman remains an important location for Jews due largely to its connection to the famed Rabbi Nahman of Bratslav who lived in Uman in the months previous to his death. The Jewish population of Uman w... more

Society for the Guarding of the Health of the Jewish Population

At the beginning of World War I, as many Jewish (as well as non-Jewish) refugees poured away from the Western boundaries of the Russian Empire where fighting with the German and Austro-Hungarian Empires was tak... more

Seal of the Rabbi of Riga S. Pukher

Seal of the Rabbi of Riga S. Pukher..Solomon Pukher was born in 1829 in Vladislavov, a town then in the Russian Empire. It is currently in modern-day Lithuania and is called Kudirkos Naumiestis. He was educat... more

Communist Academy Library

Communist Academy Library ..A research institute and institution of higher learning established in Moscow in 1918 as the Socialist Academy, it was renamed the Communist Academy in 1924. It had an implicit riva... more

Bronislav Grosser Jewish Workers Club Kharkov

Jewish Workers Club “Bronsilav Grosser” Kharkhov .This Jewish workers’ club located in Kharkov, Ukraine was named after Bronislav Grosser. Bronislav Grosser was a well-known Bundist, writer, and theoretician o... more

Library of the Destroyer Artem

This destroyer was originally built for the Baltic Fleet of the Russian Empire in 1916 and named “Azard.” It held this name until 1922 when it was renamed “Zinoviev” after Grigoriy Zinoviev, a prominent Soviet ... more

Kiev Workers School no 85

After the Russian Revolution, and the subsequent civil war, the Communist leaders in the Soviet Ukraine embarked on a project to reconstruct the devastated regions along Marxist-Leninist lines. Part of this pro... more

Yakov Yehusha Son of Zvi Shulman

The city of Yelisavetgrod (Kirovohrad) was the site of many notable anti-Jewish pogroms including ones that took place in 1881, 1905 and several pogroms that took place during the Civil War which followed the B... more

Communist University of the Toilers of China Library

The Communist University of the Toilers of China, known as the Sun-Yat Sen University of the Toilers of China until September 17th, 1928 was a Communist International school for Chinese revolutionaries from bot... more

Justingrad Library Society

Justingrad was a shtetl created after Jews were expelled from the nearby village of Sokolovka in 1825 in accordance with a decree by Nicholas I of Russia which expelled non-farmer Jews to special Jewish settlem... more

Central Jewish Library of the State

On April 1, 1919 the Council of People’s Commissars of the Ukrainian SSR issued a decree that transferred control of numerous historical and cultural institutions, including libraries, to the People’s Commissar... more

Jewish Central Education Committee in Vilna

As home to a large Jewish community the city of Vilna (Lithuania) offered a variety of educational institutions that catered to different parts of the city’s Jewish population. The Central Education Committee (... more

Latvian SSR Yiddish Theater

After the Soviet Army occupied the Republic of Latvia it renamed the territory the Latvian Soviet Socialist Republic (Latvian SSR) – it was a region that saw heavy fighting throughout the Second World War as co... more

Library of the factory committee of the factory Red Vyborger

The “Red Vyborger” is one of the largest facilities for the processing of non-ferrous metals and alloys (those that do not contain a significant amount of iron) in Russia today. It was founded in 1857 by a mec... more

Library of the factory Proletarian Victory

This shoe factory was built in Saint Petersburg in 1914 and later changed its name to “Proletarian Victory.” It employed a large number of workers. In 1926, they began making women’s shoes. During the war, i... more

Baltinava Jewish Culture Society

Though the village of Baltinava’s Jewish community never numbered higher than a few hundred the village was still home to Jewish mutual aid and cultural societies – as this book stamp demonstrates. In the years... more

Rostselmash Technical Library

Rostselmash is a Russian agricultural equipment company based in Rostov-on-Don and founded in 1929. It started out as a as a government contractor. In 1941 they evacuated their factory from Rostov to Tashkent ... more

The Lounge Bookseller_b

This stamp is not from a library but from a bookstore called “The Lounge”, which was located on Rue Etats-Unis (United States), in Cannes. This particular street is renowned for luxury, high end shopping establ... more

The Lounge Bookseller_a

This stamp is not from a library but from a bookstore called “The Lounge”, which was located on Rue Etats-Unis (United States), in Cannes. This particular street is renowned for luxury, high end shopping establ... more

Rabbi Chaim Lubotski

Rabbi Chaim Lubotski. City of Rezhitsa, Vitebsk Governorate. ...Rabbi Chaim Lubotski was a rabbi in the city of Rezhitsa. Rezhitsa was part of the Russian Empire from 1772 to 1917.It was part of the Vitebsk Go... more

Vitebsk Governorate Statistical Committee

Vitebsk Governorate Statistical Committee. 28 December 98. ...The Vitebsk Governorate Statistical Committee was the organ of government statistics in the Vitebsk Governorate for most of the 19th and the beginn... more

Press of the Minsk Agricultural Society

Press of the Minsk Agricultural Society. ...The Minsk Agricultural Society was formed in 1876. It was formed to discuss the economical problems of the region. It held agricultural exhibitions, organized purc... more

Library of the Kovno Kollel

Library of the Kovno Kollel...In 1877, Rabbi Yisroel ben Ze’ev Wolf Lipkin – also known as Yisroel Salanter – founded a Kolel (a yeshiva for young, but married, men) in the city of Kaunes (Kovno), Lithuania. T... more

Library of Free People

Library of Free People, 4th District (arrondissement), Paris...This library was located in Paris, in the 4th arrondissement; an arrondissement is an administrative district, of which Paris is divided into 20. T... more

Kolel Kaunas Consolidated with Kolel House of Israel

Kolel Kaunas (Kovno) consolidated with Kolel House of Israel. Talmudical Academy Kolel of Kaunas and Kolel Beis Israel Kaunes, Lithuania. Kaunas, Lithuania...Library of the Kovno Kollel...In 1877, Rabbi Yisroel... more

Josef Jona Zwi Halevi Horovitz

Josef Jona Zwi Halevi Horovitz. Chief of the Court (Av Beit Din). Kehal Adath Jeshurun Frankfurt Am Main...Born in 1892, in Hunsdorf (Czech Republic), Rabbi Josef Jona Zwi Horovitz – the “Hundsorfer Rav” – was ... more

Student Library Reading Room fo the Kiev Polytechnic Institute

Student Library-reading room of the Kiev Polytechnic Institute. ..Founded in 1898 with the support of the originator of the Periodic Table of Elements, Dmitri Mendeleev, among others, the Kiev Polytechnic Inst... more

Rabbinical School Vauquelire Street Paris

Rabbinical School, Vauquelire Street – Paris. .The Séminaire Israélite de France (also referred to as the École Rabbinique) has been training rabbis since 1829. Though founded in Metz, the school was transferre... more

Rabbinical School Vacquelire Street Paris

Rabbinical School, Vauquelire Street – Paris. .The Séminaire Israélite de France (also referred to as the École Rabbinique) has been training rabbis since 1829. Though founded in Metz, the school was transferre... more

Library of the Kiev Branch of the Society for the Promotion of Culture among the Jews of Russia 1570

Library of the Kiev Branch of the Society for the Promotion of Culture among the Jews of Russia. 1570. ..The Society for the Promotion of Culture among the Jews of Russia was a civic and educational associatio... more

Jewish Workers Club MB Ratner Kharkiv

This book stamp belongs to a Jewish Workers Club named for the socialist leader and lawyer Marc Borisovich Ratner. Ratner was involved in socialist politics from an early age – and though his political involve... more

Libary of the Kharkhaver Jewish Workers Cooperative Self Education

In the years following the end of the First World War and the Russian Revolution the city of Kharkiv – in Ukraine – became home to a large and vibrant Jewish community; indeed, the Jewish population of Kharkiv ... more

Bibliotheca Rosenthaliana

The Bibliotheca Rosenthalia began as the personal collection of Leeser Rosenthal – an independent collector who assembled an impressive library including thousands of printed books alongside numerous manuscript... more

All-Union Communist Party (bolsheviks) Kiev Oblast Library, Number 58157

The All-Union Communist Party (bolsheviks) was the name of the ruling party in the Soviet Union between 1925 and 1952. It’s original name was the Russian Social Democratic Labor Party (bolsheviks). It became ... more

The First Jewish Workers Club in Yekaterinoslav

As it was a busy industrial city, Dnipropetovsk also provided a rich urban setting for the development of a large and active Jewish community. Jewish workers were involved in numerous trades in the city, but Je... more

Synagogue of Lubavitcher Hasidism Vilna

Synagogue of Lubavitcher Hasidim. Vilna. Vilna Street, private house number 21. ...The Lubavitcher Hasidim are adherents of a Hasidic movement known as Chabad (also known as Lubavitch and Chabad-Lubavitch). T... more

Society of Jewish Science in the Netherlands

Society of Jewish Science in the Netherlands.Founded in Germany, in 1819, the Wissenschaft der Juden (Society for Jewish Culture and Science) sought to establish a construct of the Jewish people as a people – i... more

May He Live Zalman Tuviyah Markovicius the Rabbi of Antaliepte in Lithuania

May He Live, Zalman-Tuviyah Markovicius // the Rabbi of Antaliepte in Lithuania..After serving as the Rabbi in the small Lithuanian town of Inturke (Anturke), Rabbi Zalman-Tuviyah Markovicius (Markovitz) reloca... more

May He Live Zalman Tuviyah Markovicius the Rabbi fo Antaliepte in Lithuania_2

May He Live, Zalman-Tuviyah Markovicius // the Rabbi of Antaliepte in Lithuania..After serving as the Rabbi in the small Lithuanian town of Inturke (Anturke), Rabbi Zalman-Tuviyah Markovicius (Markovitz) reloca... more

Library of the Vilna House of the Red Army

Library of the Vilna House of the Red Army. Number 3633. 12-86. ..A “House of the Red Army” was a cultural institution whose function it was to serve the cultural, educational, and recreational needs of Red Ar... more

Jewish Workers Club Bronislav Grosser Kharkov

Jewish Workers' Club. Bronislav Grosser. Kharkov. . .This Jewish workers’ club located in Kharkov, Ukraine was named after Bronislav Grosser. Bronislav Grosser was a well-known Bundist, writer, and theoreticia... more

Association of Hebrew Language and Culture

Association of Hebrew Language and Culture – Breslau. Hebrew..By the time the Nazis rose to power, Breslau was home to the third largest Jewish community in Germany. The Jews of Breslau had developed strong com... more

Western Oblast Pioneer House

Western Oblast Pioneer House. Smolensk, Sotsialisticheskaya Street 1/5. ..The Pioneer movement is an organization for children in communist countries. It is similar to the Scout movement in the US, but is dist... more

Vitebsk Scholarly Archival Commission

Vitebsk Scholarly Archival Commission. ..The Vitebsk Scholarly Archival Commission was established in 1909 by Vitebsk historians and folklorists and played a central role in the development of archival science ... more

Rabbi Abraham Leichtag Wachsmann

Rabbi Abraham (Leichtag) Wachsmann. Associate and justice of The Sacred Community of (Kehila Kedosha) Ujpest...Born in 1890 in Bánffyhunyadon in Romania, Rabbi Abraham Leichtag Wachsmann received his theologica... more

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Library, Ministry of Foreign Affairs. ..This stamp is from the library of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which is housed in the historic Quai d’Orsay building in Paris. The ministry has been at this location ... more

Yitzhak Jamenfeld

Yitzhak (Isaak) Jamenfeld. Amsterdam Plantage Doklaan 28 huis. Holland. ..Born on September 24, 1913 in the region of Tarnopol (Ukraine), Isaak Jamenfeld eventually relocated to Holland with his mother Dora Ja... more

No 1093 State Picture Gallery of the BSSR

No. 1093. State Picture Gallery of the BSSR. ..The State Picture Gallery of the BSSR was founded on January 20, 1939 and was not evacuated during the war. Much was lost. Its current name is the National Arts Mu... more

Secretariat of the Local Union Mulhouse

Secretariat of the Local Union, Mulhouse. ..This stamp is from the city of Mulhouse, which is located near the German and Swiss borders. The city was annexed by Germany as part of the territory of Alsace-Lorrai... more

Museum of the Revolution of the BSSR

Museum of the Revolution of the BSSR. Exhibit number. Inventory number 2403. ..The Museum of the Revolution of the BSSR was opened on May 2, 1926 in Minsk. It held materials dealing with the history of the revo... more

Hebrew school of the Jewish Community of Berlin

Hebrew school of the Jewish Community of Berlin..By the time the Nazis came to power approximately a third of the Jewish population of Germany could be found living in Berlin. Within the city a vibrant Jewish c... more

Zelig Wolf Waldmann, Frankfurt Am Main

Zelig Wolf Waldmann - Frankfurt Am Main..As one of the largest cities in Germany, Frankfurt Am Main had a large and vibrant Jewish community consisting of numerous synagogues, libraries, organizations and many ... more

Rabbi Haim Cohen, Tripoli

Rabbi Haim Cohen – Tripoli..The Jewish community of Tripoli dates back to the Phoenician period. While the early centuries of Jewish presence in Tripoli were marred by repression and shifting legal decrees, by ... more

Library of the Israelite Consistory of Paris

Library of the Israelite Consistory of Paris. ..A consistory was a religious authority governing the Jews of various geographic localities in France, in accordance with a Napoleon I decree circa 1808. Whenever... more

Library of the Business Institute MORKO

Library of the Business Institute M.O.R.K.O. Inventory 1301. Section 944. Number 176. ..This stamp comes from the library of the Moscow Institute of Commerce of M.O.R.K.O. M.O.R.K.O. is an acronym for the Mosc... more

Library of Guardianship of National Sobriety in the city of Volmar

Library of Guardianship of National Sobriety in the city of Volmar. ..Starting in 1894, the Finance Ministry in the Russian Empire began creating a network of committees for “Guardianship of National Sobriety”... more

Offenbach Archival Depot

The Offenbach Archival Depot was the central collecting point for sorting and organizing the millions of books looted from European libraries by the forces of the Third Reich. These items were originally housed... more

Library of the Rabbi Zwi Perez Chajes

From the Library of the Rabbi Zwi Perez Chajes of Blessed Memory (Zikhrono Lebrakha)..Rabbi Zwi Perez Chajes was a prominent Jewish scholar, teacher, community leader, and Zionist. Born in 1876 in Brody (Galici... more

Universal Israelite Alliance

The Alliance Israelite Universelle was founded in Paris in 1860, with the purpose of educating Middle Eastern Jews in French language and culture. The organization is still in existence to this day, offering e... more

Library of the “Hebrew Language”

Library of the “Hebrew Language” (literally: “Language of Zion”) Antwerp ..Between the World Wars, Antwerp grew into an important site for European Jewry with the city’s Jewish population making up nearly 20% o... more

Popular Library of Chinon

This stamp is from a library in Chinon, a city in the Loire valley. Chinon is well-known for medieval architecture, including the Château de Chinon, a castle which has been the residence of royalty from both Fr... more

Pskov Technical School of Land Management

This institution was originally founded as the Pskov Land Surveying School in 1874, and was reorganized as the Pskov Technical School of Land Management in 1921...This book stamp is from a book looted by the Na... more

The American Library in Paris

The American Library in Paris has been in existence since 1920, and was founded by The American Library Association (ALA), using books sent overseas as part of the Library War Service. (This was a program to pr... more

Talmudic Library of Congregation Israel Salonica

Talmudic Library of Congregation Israel -- Salonica..In 1912, when Salonica was reincorporated into Greece, the city already had a large and vibrant Jewish community. A devastating fire ravaged Salonica in 1917... more

NKVMF House of the Naval Fleet KBF

NKVMF USSR. House of the Naval Fleet KBF. City of Tallinn. Library Inventory Number. ..The NKVMF is the acronym for The People’s Commissariat (or Ministry) for Navy; KBF is the acronym for The Red Banner Balti... more

Literary Circle in Reval

Literary circle in the city of Reval. ..This stamp most likely denoted ownership by a private library or literary society/book group. Given that the name on the stamp is Revel, rather than the current name of T... more

Library of the Idritsa House of the Red Army

Library of the Idritsa House of the Red Army. Inventory number 1664. Main fund 1876. .A “House of the Red Army” was a cultural institution whose function it was to serve the cultural, educational, and recreati... more

Library of the Krasnodarsk Institute of Wine Making and Viticulture

Library of the Krasnodarsk Institute of Wine-Making and Viticulture. .Krasnodarsk is the capital of Krasnodar Krai, which is a large region of Russia that borders Ukraine. This region has the most wine factori... more

Library of Eretz Yisrael

Library of Eretz Yisrael The Sacred Community (Kehila Kedosha) of Zagreb ..After Nazi forces occupied Yugoslavia in April 1941, Zagreb was made the capital of the puppet-state the Independent State of Croatia w... more

Drug Store and Perfumers Shop of N. L. Temkin

Drug store and perfumer's shop of N. L. Temkin. Rakovskaya Street. ..Rakovskaya Street is located in Minsk, which is currently the capital of Belarus. The Offenbach index has this particular stamp, denoting a b... more

Administration of the Estonian Railroad of the Tartu Branch

USSR. NKPS. Administration of the Estonian Railroad of the Tartu Branch. _ _ _ _ 194. Nr. 475. ..While some of this stamp is illegible, there is enough to ascertain that it is from the library of the NKPS, whic... more

Russian Philanthropic Society in Poland

Russian Philanthropic Society in Poland. Branch in Brest on the Bug. This stamp appears to be the Brest Branch of the Russian Philanthropic Society; Brest is located on the Polish border.. The main location of ... more

Publishing House of E. Gitlin Warsaw

Publishing house of E. Gitlin. Warsaw. Nalevki, Ivanovskiy Bazaar No. 1. Telephone no. 31-59. ..There were multiple Gitlin publication houses in Warsaw- in addition to “E”, there was also an “A” and an “F” Gitl... more

Publishing House Ahiasaf Warsaw

Publishing House "Ahiasaf". Warsaw, Tverdaya [Street] 12. The “Ahiasaf” Publishing house was founded in Warsaw in 1893. The primary function was publishing a Hebrew language annual, similar to an almanac, of th... more

A.S. Pushkin Brest Regional Library

A.S. Pushkin Brest Regional Library. This library was named after the famed Russian poet Alexander Pushkin, widely considered to be one of the founders of modern Russian literature. This library was located in ... more

Imperial University of Saint Vladimir Library

Imperial University of Saint Vladimir Library- Now known as the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kiev, the Imperial University was first established in 1834 by Emperor Nicholas I. It was renamed after al... more

Lenin Library of Gorky Oblast

Lenin Library of Gorky Oblast. City of Gorky. An oblast is a Russian term for an administrative zone or province; this particular one was named after famed Russian author and revolutionary Maxim Gorky. This spe... more

Library of the Gatchina Palace Museum

Library of the Gatchina Palace-Museum. ..The Gatchina Palace was originally built in the late 18th Century for a Russian count; however, Catherine the Great eventually purchased the property and it became an im... more